Thursday, March 09, 2006

Movie Reviews: Brokeback, Aeon Flux & Memoirs

I was still able to watch "Brokeback Mountain" on its' last week. I watched the movie out of curiosity to see what was all the buzz about. Although raised with strict catholic values my mom imposed on us, I grew up with an open mind. I respect certain practices and beliefs the Catholic Church deemed not acceptable. The film addresses forbidden love between two cowboys. Set in the 1960's, Ennis Del Mar (Heath Ledger) Jack Twist (Jake Gyllenhaal) struggle not only in hiding their elicit love from their loved ones and society but also the struggle within oneself. The most touching scene for me was when Ennis opened the closet neatly hanged Jack's garment and a picture of brokeback mountain. I recalled something similar to that scene and the emotion of longing for someone who has gone away. I was in highschool, in a time where I and my dad finally established a bond together in the midst of arguments. It was already routine, he had to leave us to work abroad but this time it was a different experience for me. After he left for the airport. I'd secretly lock myself in my parents' room and cry. Hoping that the lingering smell of the perfume my dad wore would somewhat ease the unfamiliar pain in my chest. The soundtrack is amazing, it's distinct sound subtle yet powerful. This soundtrack will take you back through the highs and lows of Jack and Ennis' lives and love. I can't imagine this film without Gustavo Santaolalla. This movie is at it's best when you watch it without prejudice, take it as it comes. On a lighter note, a Marlboro ad is never the same again.


I've watched a couple of episodes when it was still on-air but I never understood the story. Aeon Flux is based on the MTV animated series created by Peter Chung. Set 400 years in the future, a disease wiped out majority of the earth's population except for the protected city, Bregna. Aeon Flux (Charlize Theron) a top operative in a underground "Monican" Rebellion. She is sent on a mission to kill a government leader Chairman Treavor Goodchild (Marton Csokas) instead she uncovers a world of lie and secrets. After watching this film, all the questions that I had were quickly answered, everything made sense. Charlize looked hot and equally portrayed Aeon quite well. Somewhat surprised that the movie flopped considering that there are a lot of MTV viewers all over the world. If the storyline had more meat no doubt this would be a hit but Nonetheless it's a good movie, entertaining.


Based on the international best-seller by Arthur Golden, Memoirs of a Geisha is an epic story of love and betrayal set against the broad and rapidly changing social canvas of 20th century Japan. Nine-year old Chiyo, a poor fisherman's daughter, is taken from her family and sold to a geisha house. From her start as a common household maid, she blossoms into one of the most renowned geishas. I haven't read the book and I have a vague idea of Japan and it's culture. Having the said background I enjoyed this movie a lot, it's visually stunning. I almost considered reading the novel. I'm not exactly a bookworm you see but being close to the feeling that I actually want to read something says a lot, perhaps someday I will. If you haven't watched memoirs I highly recommend that you watch it on the big screen.

Labels:


t-na @ 8:00 PM| 0 comments