Saturday, July 22, 2006

Rubber Glue Back to You (me)

Way back in the 1990's, my sister and her friends were so into "boy bands". I didn't understand why they were so into it considering that only two out of the five members were singing and the other members served as backdrops/ eye candy. I often teased my sister and mimic one of the singers on how obviously gay he was, the way he pouts his lips ala vogue, Harhar laughtrip. I knew that she had a big crush on him, so when he finally "came out" and admitted that he is gay. I teased her even more and played the "I told you so" over and over until she gets irritated . Now whenever I remind her of her former "obsession" she gives me the smirk and says "that was then, ok?!?".

I'm a big fan of the defunct Australian pop duo Savage Garden since 1998 and the recent development on the former frontman Darren Hayes shocked me, rubber glue back to me!

WEDDING BLUES

Darren Hayes is gay. Get over it. Since the former Savage Garden frontman announced that he had married his British boyfriend of two years, Richard Cullen, in a civil partnership ceremony in London on June 19, his many devoted female fans are struggling to come to terms with the fact that there was now a zero per cent chance they will ever marry the man, as opposed to the 0.00001 per cent possibility that existed previously.

Hayes's unexpected nuptials have resulted in many a cri de couer across the land. One young female was moved to forgiving words on his official website, saying she was still happy for him nevertheless and "it doesn't matter that he is gay or bisexual".

"I will love yooooou 4ever thanks 4 your courage daz," an Italian fan gushed.

Male fans have their own hurdles to jump, like this fan who was still coming to terms with his feelings, in a number of senses: "Imagine, the man that I've idolised, loved and cherished for soooo many years is gay? It is easy to accept that for women but not for men. Until now, I can't stop thinking about it."

Source: Sydney Morning Herald www.smh.com.au


Undeniably there is a twig of disappointment whenever someone we look up to suddenly is "unavailable and gay". Come to think of it, there were a lot of clues dropped ever since "Savage Garden" started. Music videos released by the former band, Darren have shown certain expressions that suggest his sexuality but always thought (or probably I was just in denial/ blinded by admiration) that he was just so passionate about his craft. Now that he is finally out, as a fan I admire him more than ever. It took a lot of courage and is certainly a big risk for him to admit that he is gay and married. I'm still digesting the thought that he is gay but nevertheless this issue would not affect my admiration for Mr. Hayes and his music.

Labels: ,


t-na @ 10:22 AM| 0 comments