Tuesday, December 09, 2008

COPD

One from my list of most hated things is Cigarette and Cigarette Smoke.

It's my active choice not to be a smoker. I don't hate people who smoke that is their thing but I hate it the most when (1) they do their thing in public or (2) when I am around and I smell the smoke they make, (3) parents who smoke while their child is around or (5) worst pregnant women who still smoke. I strongly suggest smokers (non-pregnant) to lock themselves in a enclosed private space and freely inhale all the pollution their making without compromising other people.

Growing up I remember my Tito, Tita and Lola used to smoke. Though I haven't seen them actually smoke, I always saw packs of cigarettes, tobaccos and different designs of lighters. I used to play with my Lola's silver lighters. Early 1990's, my Tita Ding and Tito Ric quit cold turkey when they were diagnosed with Asthma.

By 2006 my Tita Ding was diagnosed to have Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Emphysema and enrolled at a COPD Rehabilitation Center at Perpetual Help University Hospital. After a number of classes her health improved. She became more aware of how to deal with her attacks, managed to walk long distances and more educated with her condition.

What is COPD?

COPD, or chronic obstructive pulmonary (PULL-mun-ary) disease, is a progressive disease that makes it hard to breathe. "Progressive" means the disease gets worse over time.

COPD can cause coughing that produces large amounts of mucus (a slimy substance), wheezing, shortness of breath, chest tightness, and other symptoms.

Cigarette smoking is the leading cause of COPD. Most people who have COPD smoke or used to smoke. Long-term exposure to other lung irritants, such as air pollution, chemical fumes, or dust, also may contribute to COPD.

COPD develops slowly. Symptoms often worsen over time and can limit your ability to do routine activities. Severe COPD may prevent you from doing even basic activities like walking, cooking, or taking care of yourself.

Most of the time, COPD is diagnosed in middle-aged or older people. The disease isn't passed from person to person—you can't catch it from someone else.

COPD has no cure yet, and doctors don't know how to reverse the damage to the airways and lungs. However, treatments and lifestyle changes can help you feel better, stay more active, and slow the progress of the disease.

Source: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/Copd/Copd_WhatIs.html


There was constant struggle to manage her attacks and being more dependent on her nubolizer to relieve and make breathing easier. There were good days, there were bad and some worse. Then her visits to the center became less, until she stopped attending. Year 2007 the unfortunate violent death of my Tito Ernie shocked the whole family. Tita Ding was really affected. Recent events and dealing with her illness, it was a slow downhill from there.

I have personally seen the struggle my Tita had gone thru. If your a smoker or planning to start because you think it's cool, I encourage you to be educated of the consequences your about to face and make your decision.

As odd as it may seem, the very next morning after we laid to rest Tita Ding we turned our television on and Channel 2 Salamat Po Doc! their topic was about COPD.

Labels:


t-na @ 5:39 AM| 0 comments